Being stung by a bee is a painful experience and can be life threatening to the one in thirty people who are allergic to stings.
It is possible to reduce these risks by taking sensible precautions when outdoors and ensuring that bee nests are properly managed or dealt with using the latest bee control techniques.
Bees are less aggressive than wasps and much less likely to sting.
Furthermore, since bees are highly beneficial to the environment and some species are under threat, bees should not be killed and nests should be left undisturbed whenever possible.
If a bee nest represents a high risk (such as a nest in the home or a hospital or near those who are allergic to bee stings), the nest can be moved to a safe area.